[PJUG Javamail] Java companies

James Brundege james at bioquery.com
Fri Jul 6 00:58:56 EDT 2007

All,
Thanks for the responses about commercial Java apps.  I wanted to
estimate the proportion of different types of apps (based on how they're
deployed), so rather than write down all the products I could think of
(which could skew the results toward the types of apps I care about) I
wanted a more-or-less random list of companies. I got 15 companies,
which is a pretty small sample so the results probably aren't that
accurate. Nevertheless, here's the numbers:

Server    42%
Desktop    21%
Hosted    21%
Component    13%
Plugin    4%

I thought about breaking it out by product but decided that would
probably be less accurate (at least with this sample). It's often hard
to know where to draw the line between products when most have multiple
editions or come in suites. Instead I just counted companies, but a
single company could go into multiple categories if they sell more than
one type of product. If anyone wants the raw numbers, let me know.

This was just a quick and dirty analysis to get an idea about what types
of products are out there, but I do actually need some real marketing
data and I don't know how to get it. I tried the SAO who were no help
and probably don't have any useful data. I may try some magazines like
the JDJ next.

Anyone know how to get this kind of market research?

Thanks again for the responses!
James